There have been a major surge regarding Electronic Dance Music (EDM) in the 21st century and this is as a result of the introduction of DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) which has come inform of softwares which has enable just anyone with a good computer to produce Electronic Dance Music (EDM).
Basic Tools Required For The Production of EDM
Although anyone with a good and reliable computer can be able to produce EDM, there are still equipments which are hyper necessary for the production of a good EDM.
These tools are as follows:
- DAW – DAW which means Digital Audio Workstation is one the most essential tool needed for the production of electronic dance music. It comes in softwares and they are Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Fruity Loops, Logic Pro X, FL Studio, Cubase, Reaper, Cakewalk etc. Some of these tools are costly and to this end is production of music. To have a good music production then it is imminent to have a good DAW.
Midi Controller: MIDI which means Musical Instrument Digital Interface is a software used in the production of music and a core tool for EDM. It is vested with so many functions ranging from playing drums or notes with it for Electronic Dance Music. One of the most renown and mostly used MIDI is the MIDI Keyboard even though some of the music producers make use of Novation Launchpad Pro MK3 and Ableton Push 2.
Also Read: How to set up a music studio
- Sound Libraries: Even though some of the DAWs come with synthesisers and samples of audios, it is of earnest importance that you get a sound library for yourself. Moreso, to be an EDM producer, you need must have sample libraries running on VST (Virtual Studio Technology). You can get it from Fruity Loops, Native Instruments etc. They have all these synth sounds readily made available.
- Plugins: A plugin is an additional software that is inserted into the DAW to enhance more functionality of the DAW by creating extra sounds and effects. Producers need plugins to compress large files into smaller ones, equalise and make reverbs etc.
- Audio Interface: An audio interface is used in the conversion of analog audio into digitalized files and from digitalized files to analog audio. It is also used to connect microphones to the system and to use headset for playbacks. These are all needed in the production of EDM.
7 Tips For The Production Of EDM
After getting all the equipments together, it is time to get to work.
The steps to creating an electronic dance music is as follows:
1. Create Your Sound around an EDM classic beat
Electronic Dance Music are not hard but simple. The BPM ranges from 126 to 130 beats per minute. Set your kick to the first quarter note while the snare goes to the rest of the quarter notes. Percussive instruments and some hi-hats can also be introduced to create good character.
Don’t be too complicated with the best, create a simple beat and flow with the grove.
2. Make Use of the Music Notation Function on Your DAW
You may be a trained musician or prolific and competent on the keyboard and thus, you are competent with notation in music but you can make your work more easier by getting your notes into a gridded timeline with the sim of moving the notes. Don’t worry much about the synth sound you’re using, just put notes down then make some adjustments. This will turn into some interesting sounds.
3. Create Your Own Sound
You can shift from using the presets to creating a personal sound for yourself. Great producers do not settle for using someone else’s sound but they create their own. Start by learning how the sounds from the synthesizers are produced then create your own by testing the sounds from the synth and tweaking them.
4. Make Use of Envelope Filters
EDM needs the use of some special techniques just like using the envelope filters. The work of the envelope is to shape the sounds with time. It controls the volume of the sounds and monitor the sounds from start to the ending point. To this end, it is determinant as to how long a sound will take, the volume of the sound and other essentials.
5. Make Use of the Full-Frequency Spectrum
The frequency spectrum can be use to detect what part of the harmonic spectrum instrument by instrument. An example is the bass resonance. Duck the other filters; this is in a bid to create a Sonic space for other sounds.
Also make use of the extremes like the high filters. Create a good boost on the bass to enable the sounding mix coupled with a good baseline that can throw even the largest of the sound systems off guard.
6. Make Music Theoretical Work
It is not compulsory that you must be a musician that is trained formally to make electronic dance music (EDM). You can develop some skills by experimentation. Just be creative and don’t be afraid of making mistakes after all you learn from your mistakes. Try to play with sounds and you’ll master your art.
7. Open Up To Learning New Things
The internet is your friend so utilize it. Get tips on mixing from professional online. Check out an EDM artiste you like and try to gain from his or her wealth of experience and proficiency. Make them your reference point and the sky will be your starting point.
I hope this article helped you?
For contributions, corrections and questions, please hit the comment section below!