Tone Deafness which is otherwise called Amusia can be described as a musical disorder which affects the pitch perception and music memory of a person.
It can be divided into two classes namely:
1. Acquired amusia and
2. Congenital amusia
I will start by defining both of them so what is acquired amusia?
Acquired amusia happens or occurs when the part of the brain that is used for musical assimilation is damaged while Congenial amusia as the name implies, is a resultant of a defection in the music assimilation that is inherent from birth.
Research however, points to the fact Congenial amusia could be deficit in clearly fine-grained discrimination of pitch.
Study has also shown that the percentage that suffer from this malfunction is up to 4%.
Acquired amusia may take several other forms and moreso patients with this disorder may take several forms and may experience loss of the ability to make or produce musical sounds.
Also note that Acquired amusia may not be rectified with just music though some scholars argue that a part of music called MUSIC THERAPY can correct that but Congenial amusia which is inherent can be corrected with the right musical step-by-step practice.
Now let us get to the step-by-step process of treating or rectifying Tone deafness.
1. Get a musical instrument: this is very important if you must achieve the goal of correcting your vocal prowess.
A keyboard which is the mother of all instruments would be a good one to start with.
I know you are probably asking what kind of keyboard you should buy. I’m not saying you should stress yourself to buying a grand piano, just a small Yamaha of 5 octaves can do the job so you just get to an instruments shop and get it with some few dollars and you are good to go.
2. Try to Replicate a particular pitch: By pitch I mean note and It doesn’t matter the pitch or the note, just to to imitate the note you are pressing on the piano.
3. Move two steps upward: After replicating that particular pitch in step two, move two steps upward and then press the note. Try to Replicate the note too and make sure you get it.
It will be hard just don’t give up.
4. Move back to the note in step two: After trying to sing the note in step three, go back to the note in step 3 and make sure you replicate the note again.
5. Alternate between the note in step 2 and the note in step 3: This is where the work has really started and you may feel like quitting but hey, hang on it will only get better. Just keep trying.
6. Move two steps upward from the note in step 3: After alternating between the two notes in step 2 and 3 respectively, move the same way you moved from step 2 to step 3 but this time around you move two semitones or intervals upward from the note in step 3 and make sure you pitch the note with your voice too.
7. Go back to the note in step 2 and alternate the three notes: Try to pitch it from the note in step 2 and alternate the three tones or pitches.
8. Continue with the same method all over the keyboard: Having done that your vocal ability starts coming up and you start seeing some slight changes, Don’t stop even if you don’t get any instant rectification of your voice after all, Rome was not built in a day. Just keep pushing and striving for perfection and you will be amazed by the results you will get at the end of the day.
All these notwithstanding, the other short and easy way to correct your vocal prowess is to employ a tutor. It will cost you some dollars but mind you it is worth it.
Infact I encourage this very method as everything will be simplified for you so you don’t loss interest in the whole thing.
Send in your thoughts and questions so we can learn together…